There are a wealth of products out there for removing make-up, including the now popular micellar water, which claims to attract the make-up particles to itself, thus removing all traces with one swipe. Not so fast…I’ve tried this product, as well as other oil-based removers, and always find I have something left behind, or that I’ve been tugging at my eyes more than I’d like. Even if you have one that works, I’ll bet it’s a synthetic product.
I’m trying to avoid synthetic skin products if I can help it (hence, The Soap Cabin!) and I basically quit the make-up removers in favour of plain old simple plant-based oil. (Synthetics tend to strip the skin of it’s protective oils, clog pores and/or generally irritate). My oil of choice is sweet almond oil (citrus dulcis):
- Sweet Almond oil (or another plant-based oil such as grapeseed)
- Flannel or cotton face scrubbie
- Sink filled with hot water (not too hot!)
- Massage the oil into your face, concentrating on loosening eye make-up
- Soak the flannel or scrubbie in hot water, wring out and use to gently wipe away make-up and oil (repeat a few times)
- When your face is clean, follow with a little oil to moisturise
And you’ve not used a single cotton wool pad.
You can buy our reuseable cotton face scrubbies here